[Air-l] networks

Steve Jones sjones at uic.edu
Mon Sep 17 14:58:26 PDT 2001

At the risk of taking this somewhat off-topic, I'd wonder whether
operating in this fashion would, in fact, make an organization more
vulnerable to discovery. The notion of distribution via
Internetworking, to my knowledge, involves concepts like
store-and-forward, copies of information shared at all nodes, etc.
One of the problems with "early" (in quotes because it wasn't that
long ago) forms of Internet legislation in the U.S. was that it
wasn't clear whether all of the nodes through which a pornographic
image, for example, were equally liable under the law, because all of
them would, by virtue of having a copy of the image, be "responsible"
for its distribution. Would it be desirable for a group seeking
secrecy to operate in such a fashion? It seems to me to run counter
to the level of secrecy one would want, and that it would be better
to have nodes that were actually independent of one another, or at
least not very well informed of the others, so that if one _is_ taken
down the others to which it might in some way be connected are not so
easily discovered. Perhaps the notion of "network" as it's being
applied here isn't quite the same as we've understood it in terms of
the Net, or I'm misunderstanding its use in one or both of these
contexts, or it's being used metaphorically?

As to organizations like the ones housed in the WTC, Christian makes
an interesting comment. I suspect most of the ones that were using
computer databases had multiple backups, some of which were well
beyond the WTC, possibly even in other countries. Why not similarly
distribute personnel?

And if I may be allowed a bit of tongue-in-cheek, perhaps "distance
learning" could in this way come to mean sending faculty to teach
from Hawaii while their students remain in Chicago.

Sj