[Air-l] response to nomination

Charles Ess cmess at lib.drury.edu
Mon Sep 24 13:31:44 PDT 2001

Following the other accounts of nominees is hard business indeed!
In any case, I'm deeply flattered to be nominated to an Open Seat by Nancy
Baym.  Some particulars:

My publications are in ethics(interdisciplinary, East/West), hypertext and
democratization, history of philosophy, Continental philosophy, feminist
biblical studies, and philosophical perspectives on CMC.  I've edited two
volumes on computer-mediated communication  - the second with Fay Sudweeks.
With Fay Sudweeks, I've co-chaired two international and interdisciplinary
conferences on "Cultural Attitudes towards Technology and Communication"
(CATaC). I've  given invited lectures at Carnegie Mellon University, the
University of Paderborn (Germany), the Open University (Milton Keynes, UK),
Ohio University, and the University of Illinois at Chicago.

I¹ve lived abroad for three years (Germany, Switzerland, France), as well as
traveled through (what was Eastern) Europe, the Middle East, and Turkey.
I've served on the Board of Directors of ASIANetwork, with specific
responsibilities for CMC-related projects and policies.

This past year I've served as Chair of the AoIR ethics working committee.
It has been extraordinary to see what an international and interdisciplinary
group of researchers, scholars, and philosophers can discern regarding the
many thorny ethical problems occasioned by Internet research.  This
experience has convinced me yet again of the value of interdisciplinary/
international discussion, which I take to be one of the primary benefits of
AoIR.

My interests are helping AoIR to continue to grow and thereby enrich the
possibilities for international/interdisciplinary dialogue - dialogues
which, in many cases, promise to provide needed insight and direction in our
understanding of CMC technologies and their multiple uses both locally and
globally.

Cheers and best wishes,

Charles Ess
Director, Interdisciplinary Studies Center
Drury University
900 N. Benton Ave.                          Voice: 417-873-7230
Springfield, MO  65802  USA            FAX: 417-873-7435
Home page:  http://www.drury.edu/ess/ess.html
Co-chair, CATaC 2002: http://www.it.murdoch.edu.au/~sudweeks/catac02/
"...to be non-violent, we must not wish for anything on this earth which the
meanest and lowest of human beings cannot have." -- Gandhi