[Air-l] AoIR 2001 Conference in Minnesota

Steve Jones sjones at uic.edu
Fri Sep 14 06:25:42 PDT 2001

Fellow members of the Association of Internet Researchers and air-l
subscribers:

These are trying times, to greatly understate things. We will all
struggle in one way or another to re-imagine the world now that
everything has changed.  The attacks in the U.S. this week were in
part directed squarely at the U.S., But they were also directed in
part at the world. The destruction of the World Trade Center towers
killed and hurt many people from all walks of life, from all beliefs,
races, countries. AoIR is an international organization, and each of
us feels some sense of loss. Our thoughts go out particularly to
those who have lost friends, family and acquaintances.

We have been asked by several people whether the 2001 conference in
Minneapolis will be cancelled. The executive committee, the
conference organizers at the University of Minnesota and I have
decided that the conference will not be cancelled.

None of us associated with AoIR will ask anyone to do something with
which they are uncomfortable. Were I to have to fly within the next
week I would certainly think twice, although I think I would go ahead
with it.  I would be apprehensive about it, and will be for quite
some time, and I will not be very happy at the prospect, and I will
be ever so glad to land.  However, the alternative is to cease
travelling by air and therefore cease meeting indefinitely (except
online, of course, or at short distances), and to lose all confidence
in the variety of human systems on which the world is, and must, be
based. I do not choose that alternative. Your choice, however,
should, and will be, respected. We will, of course, keep abreast of
events.

Do not hesitate to e-mail me at sjones at uic.edu with any questions and
concerns. I will look forward to seeing some of you in Minneapolis,
and others of you at other places and times in the future.

Steve Jones, President of the Association of Internet Researchers