[Air-l] Nomination acknowledgement

Klaus Bruhn Jensen kbj at hum.ku.dk
Sat Sep 22 08:48:08 PDT 2001

Colleagues:

Nancy kindly mentioned my name in her nominations, and I would be
happy to serve in an open seat on the  AOIR board. A few words on
what you might get:

INTERDISCIPLINARY BACKGROUND
I trained in English language and literature, but soon turned toward
media and communication studies, spending time as a graduate student
and postdoc at US research institutions, including the Annenberg
School of Communications in Los Angeles. In the Nordic and European
context, I have been an advocate of integrating humanistic and
social-scientific approaches to communication and culture, initially
in audience and reception studies, more recently in computer media
studies.

NETWORKS
- International Association of Media and Communication Research:
President of Audience and Reception Studies Section
- 'Changing Media, Changing Europe': Participant in 5-year project
with 60+ researchers from around Europe on the social and cultural
implications of media developments
- Editorial Board member for a number of media journals, including in
the past the Journal of Communication, and currently the Journal of
Broadcasting and Electronic Media; Journalism - Theory, Practice,
Critism; Social Semiotics.

PLATFORM
Since participating in (one of) the first meeting(s) of AOIR at the
International Communication Association conference in San Francisco
1999, I have attended AOIR 1, and have served on its Ethics
Committee. On the board, I would like to work with colleagues from
around the world on consolidating the association. Three areas of
activity, in particular, come to mind:
- ensuring a worldwide representation of AOIR, including conferences
outside North America
- enhancing the web resources of AOIR as an arena for information
exchange and research collaboration
- exploring the interfaces of AOIR with related professional
organizations, perhaps through joint  seminars and other formats.
--

Klaus Bruhn Jensen

Department of Film and Media Studies
University of Copenhagen