[Air-l] networks

Nancy Baym nbaym at ku.edu
Mon Sep 17 15:08:24 PDT 2001

Regarding the net as a metaphor/model for terrorist and other
distributed organizations like vacationing teachers, it was notable
today that one sector that apparently did well in a bad day for stock
trading was videoconferencing technology. People apparently want to
stay put.

>As to organizations like the ones housed in the WTC, Christian makes
>an interesting comment. I suspect most of the ones that were using
>computer databases had multiple backups, some of which were well
>beyond the WTC, possibly even in other countries. Why not similarly
>distribute personnel?
>
>And if I may be allowed a bit of tongue-in-cheek, perhaps "distance
>learning" could in this way come to mean sending faculty to teach
>from Hawaii while their students remain in Chicago.
>
>Sj
Nancy Baym, Communication Studies
University of Kansas
NEW! email: nbaym at ku.edu
NEW! snail mail: 102 Bailey, 1440 Jayhawk Blvd., Lawrence, KS 66045, USA
NEW! url: http://www.ku.edu/home/nbaym