[Air-l] Re: Internet traffic on Sept. 11

Caroline Haythornthwaite haythorn at uiuc.edu
Mon Sep 17 14:44:45 PDT 2001

The Pew Internet project just released some stats also. /Caroline

------
>Date: Mon, 17 Sep 2001 12:12:13 -0400
>From: Amanda Lenhart <alenhart at pewinternet.org>
>Subject: Pew Internet Report on American's Use of the Net on Sept 11-12
>To: haythorn at uiuc.edu
>Sender: bounce-pewinternet=haythorn=uiuc.edu at zip.mail-list.com
>
>How Americans Used the Internet
>After the Terror Attack
>WASHINGTON, DC--
>Americans, including Internet users, relied mostly on TV for their news and
>the phone primarily for their communication needs in the days following the
>terror attacks on the World Trade Center in New York City and the Pentagon.
>But for many online Americans, the Internet played a useful supplemental
>role as a communications tool  through their use of email and instant
>messaging  and as a news source. In addition, many Internet users were
>highly active in their communities in responding to the attacks.
>
>The Pew Internet & American Life Project has released a report titled "How
>Americans Used the Internet After the Terror Attack," detailing how
>Americans did and did not use various forms of technology on Sept 11 and
>12, 2001.
>
>In the two days after the terror attack, three quarters of all Americans
>(74%) reached out to loved ones and friends by the phone or by the
>Internet. Some 82% of Internet users used the phone or email to make
>contact with people they care about in the first 48 hours after the attacks.
>
>For more details, please visit
>http://www.pewinternet.org/reports/toc.asp?Report=45 for the full text of
>the report.
>
>-end-

>http://www.pewinternet.org/
>

>--__--__--
>
>Message: 2
>From: "Ryan J. Burns" <rburns1 at tulane.edu>
>To: <Air-l at aoir.org>
>Date: Mon, 17 Sep 2001 10:14:23 -0500
>Subject: [Air-l] Internet traffic on Sept. 11
>
>Has anyone seen statistics on Internet traffic on Sept. 11 and 12? If so,
>where? I noticed that the major news websites were really "slow" on Sept.
>11. I also heard the CEO of Earthlink on NPR talk about huge spikes in
>traffic to his member sites. He also mentioned that e-mail use was down, and
>the use of synchronous chat was up. I'm teaching a CMC class and would love
>to talk about it in class.
>
>Ryan J. Burns, Ph.D.
>rburns1 at tulane.edu
>Visiting Instructor of Media Studies
>Department of Communication
>Tulane University
>

>--__--__-

Caroline Haythornthwaite (haythorn at uiuc.edu)
Assistant Professor, Graduate School of Library and Information Science
Coordinator, Undergraduate Minor in Information Technology Studies
University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, 501 East Daniel St., Champaign,
IL, 61820
phone: 217-244-7453	fax: 217-244-3302
Faculty home page:
http://alexia.lis.uiuc.edu/gslis/people/faculty/haythorn.html