[Air-l] re: network analysis programs

Willard Uncapher wuncapher at ucdavis.edu
Wed Sep 26 15:32:15 PDT 2001

At 01:08 PM 9/25/2001 -0500, Chris wrote:
>I'm trying to learn more about network analysis statistical programs. I
>want to know which are used most often, which are Window-oriented,
>limitations to various programs, etc.

I earlier provided INSNA's software site, as well as some thoughts about
key issues associated with network data collection. Barry Wellman also
emphasized this site.

If I might go one step further, you might also consider the issue of the
visualization of dynamically interconnected data in general, of the
translation of sampled data into spatialized, temporalized,
haptic/embodied, and/or linguistic 'representations' and feedback. Nodes
and links are but one frame, and even multidimensional networks can be
represented different ways.  Many of the people I work with are quite
creatively excited by 'visualization' research. Further, socio-cultural
theorists such as Johannes Fabian have raised the question of the visualist
bias of social theories and assumptions about power (eg the panopticon),
while many scientists with whom I have talked, such as GIS mapmakers, and
interested in working with artists to think of new ways to 'inform' all the
data.

To that end, you might also consider some of the 'data-mining' software
(some of it free) on:  <www.kdnuggets.com/software/visualization.html >. In
fact, this professional data mining site is full of interesting software
<http://www.kdnuggets.com/software/index.html> and resources,
<http://www.kdnuggets.com/index.html>. The site includes text analysis,
classification, clustering software, as well as examples of companies
involved in data mining. There are variants of network analysis software
here which might not have been appropriate on INSNA's site, but which
explores the organization in and of networks, as well as  other models.

Good luck!   Willard

Willard Uncapher, Ph.D. / Ctr. for Technocultural Studies / UC, Davis /
willard at well.com