[Air-l] Ethics and legalities of copyright

Christian Nelson cnelson at comm.umass.edu
Tue Sep 4 11:18:28 PDT 2001

Very nice paper, David!

I'd just like to add that, while the regulations re: human subjects you cite
may allow for the quoting of publicly available E-mails without the collection
of informed consent forms, I suspect some will still feel somewhat unethical in
doing so, given that some folks do post things that are publicly available
without realizing the full ramifications of that. That is, as others have
indicated, a lot of folks treat E-mail as though it were the same as f2f
interaction.

Re: copyright, thanks for the reminder about the fair use regulations--i.e.,
that they require any determiniation of fair use to take into account: “the
purpose of the use, the nature of the copyrighted work, the amount and
substantiality of the portion used in rela-tions to the copyrighted work as a
whole, and the effect of the use upon the potential market for or value of the
copyrighted work." I thought there was something about market value in that law
somewhere!

--Christian Nelson

David Jacobson wrote:

> I've addressed some of the questions being raised about the ethics and
> legalities of copyright and other issues in "Doing Research in Cyberspace."
> The paper is online at
> http://people.brandeis.edu/~jacobson/Doing_Research.html.
>
> David Jacobson
> Professor of Anthropology