[Air-l] networks

Prof. Andrejevic mandrejevic at campus.fairfield.edu
Mon Sep 17 12:20:24 PDT 2001

Has anyone else on this list been struck by the parallel between the
current portrait of de-centralized terrorist networks emerging in the
media coverage and the organizational logic of distributed computer
networks? Certainly both forms of networking emerged with a similar
goal in mind: a resiliance to the forms of centralized large-scale
attacks characteristic of warfare in the first half of the 20th
century. Redundancy and de-centralization are defensive structures
whose effectiveness is demonstrated by the fact (reported yesterday, I
think) that despite the destruction of something like 10 percent of
Manhattan's office space, suprisingly little data was lost. In the face
of this kind of distributed networking, the type of military response
envisioned by Bush/Cheney et alia seems disturbingly out of joint. Just
as we wouldn't imagine that we could take down a network by hitting a
node, so too does the goal of "taking out" Osama bin Laden seem more
symbolic than effective (to the effect that it works to proliferate
cells of resistance, it might even be read as counter-productive). I'm
wondering if there's some way to use the commonly accepted discourse on
computer networking to shed some light on the current debate over the
appropriate U.S. response to the recent acts of terrorism.