[Air-l] nominations

Bunz, Ulla K ulla at ukans.edu
Sun Sep 23 15:25:05 PDT 2001

Who am I?
Those of you who attended Aoir 1.0 in Lawrence may remember me as the smiley
person at the top of the stairs, chiming, "Good Morning! Registration is
down here and to your right!"
When I'm not playing hostess, I teach and research as a doctoral candidate
in Communication Technology at the University of Kansas. As I will graduate
this year, I am disqualified for the Graduate Seat, which I would have loved
to run for. So, I'm forging ahead, and I will now accept Nancy Baym's
nomination for an Open Seat.

International and Interdisciplinary Experience
Growing up in Belgium and attending universities in Germany, New Zealand and
the United States I have learned the value of intercultural collaboration.
Along those lines, I recently suggested a joint conference between Aoir and
the German Online Research conference (or any other qualified organization).
I am officially in Communication Studies, but my research and teaching draw
from various fields, such as cyber studies, communication studies,
human-computer studies, psychology, and sociology. I strongly support
international and interdisciplinary endeavors.

Committee Experience:
In preparation for Aoir 1.0, I have helped Nancy Baym with local
organizational issues. Together with some students, I also filmed the Aoir
1.0 video and took conference pictures. I am currently involved in the
Instructional Development Division of the Southern States Communication
Association, and have ties into both the National and the International
Communication Association. I have served on several departmental committees.
I like to get things done.

I want Aoir to:
- become increasingly international both in membership and in conference
location
- become increasingly interdisciplinary, maybe even to the degree of
branching into different divisions (not to be confused with "majors") during
conferences
- become an even stronger presence online, so that Aoir's website will
become a valuable resource on all things Internet Research related for both
members and non-members
- work towards the future, so that maybe Aoir could eventually publish its
own journal
- recruit academic "youngsters" and foster their development through, for
example, more workshops, seminars or cross-university courses

Thanks. See you in Minnesota!
ulla
Ulla K. Bunz
Ph.D. Candidate, Teaching Assistant