[Air-l] networks

Willard Uncapher wuncapher at ucdavis.edu
Wed Sep 19 12:25:28 PDT 2001

At 03:20 PM 9/17/2001 -0400, you wrote:
>Has anyone else on this list been struck by the parallel between the
>current portrait of de-centralized terrorist networks emerging in the
>media coverage and the organizational logic of distributed computer
>networks? [...]

"It takes a tank to fight a tank. It takes a network to fight a network,"
says John Arquilla, senior consultant to the international security group
Rand and co-author of the forthcoming "Networks and Netwars: The Future of
Terror, Crime and Militancy."

I would submit that if notion of networks is a key elements of Internet
research and theory that is also one that needs much further theoretical
consideration.  Those that have responded to the note the initial note
about networks I think are in agreement. I cite Arquilla in part to
indicate that we need to consider networks as a more complex entity than as
a transport and storage system of information and connectivity, such as to
what I have sometimes called flat or planar maps of mere connectivity.  Can
we take social network theory as a preliminary phase in this inquiry, and
look to an emerging network theory, indeed to a theory of both network
emergence and network control?  Can we deal with the networks interacting
along a variety of scales, time frames, and evolutionary possibilities?

It has been only with great difficulty that many theories of media have
grappled with the new network based media. My own experience was such that
the 'broadcast model' simply focused on  the power of corporate media to
deliver content, and the parameters of personal and inter-personal behavior
and semiotics involved in 'receiving' it.  Hence, when network based media
became ever more critical to media studies in the late 1980s, there was a
lopsided battle between those who would position new media as bearers of
democracy (cf. Benjamin followers) or fascism and corporate control (cf.
Adorno followers).  Mark Poster has had some interesting things to day
about this 'stalled dialectic.' My research suggests that we need to put
into questions the very definition of networks. The definition of the
network, its role, and activities, is up for grabs, and is more complicated
than it initially seems. The question of terror networks brings this
realization out into the public- it is an issue not easily addressed by the
traditional categorical thinking that leads to the identifications
associated with declarations of war (or research).  The studies of the
telephone and of social networks is important, but I want to emphasize that
we must include issues of epistemology/semiotics, 'multi-dimensional
dynamics,' and questions of power of and in  networks to the mix.  I really
don't know where this sort of deconstruction of the notion of the network
is taking place- but given that I am preparing a lot of material related to
this (indeed my diss. took up this theme), I am sure that there are many
others out there as well.

While the Internet research community and network researchers in general
have taken up and have begun to explore the theoretical and practical
problems of locating identities, agency, resources, bypass strategies, etc.
in an increasingly networked world, there now seems a need to present some
of these findings in a way that can inform public policy. It is as if many
of the leaders were bound to outmoded conceptual frameworks in calling for
this 'war' whether we look to their activities from a somewhat cynical,
opportunistic perspective, or from a more moral, ethically 'pure'
perspective. In my own theoretical work, I have looked at questions of
'nested' identities- what happens if 'parts' don't exactly match up to the
'whole' - what happens if individuals can't be located by a single nation
or category- because they have become more connected to an information or
transportation network:  War- but against whom?  And if we are to think of
these networks in terms of internally coherent, even autopoietic systems,
then how are such 'networks' bounded, and what keeps one individual as a
member of one such group, rather than another.  I look not only to
endogenous factors, but also to external factors, and  it is the play of
the internal to external factors that needs a lot more attention.

So where is the end, or limit of a terrorist network?  Suddenly this become
an important, legal question- and I can imagine the trials of some people
who gave money say to a religious institution arguing that they do not
believe or agree with the 'agency' attributed to the network- are all the
members of the US linked to US government actions- who to the activities of
networks become characterized as unified as if that network were a single
body. Isn't the obvious link to these questions and those of semiotics and
categories also interesting?

There needs to be promulgated new ways to think about networks. The issue
as to whether networks concentrate or disperse people and resources is an
old one. I would point not to Castells or Saskia Sassen but to Ithiel de
Sola Pools' classic 'Predicting the Telephone.'  We find that telephones
were simultaneous predicted to cause both concentration and dispersion, and
in fact they did both. Combined with a transport technology (the elevator),
we find that telephone's promoted concentrations of works in multistory
buildings.  With the threat on them as obvious targets to terror, they may
become more dispersed.  But companies need 'pools' of labor, and there are
economies of scale, supply issues, and security/privacy issues associated
with having companies in close proximity, in association with other dense
conclaves.

The idea that one responds to the threat of a network with a network
demands consideration.  The netwar strategist argue that given the need for
'trust' within networks, that is pays to in some way to infect the network
with distrust.  "It's a whole new playing field. You're not attacking a
nation, but a network," says Karen Stephenson, who according to author Joel
Garreau studies everything from corporations to the U.S. Navy as if they
were tribes.

It is interesting to see how redundancy and decentralization in the
financial networks appears to have limited the loss of one 'node' - but at
the same time, we should be as willing to ask, just what was unique about
this node and its environment, and how will its transformation in turn
transform the larger systems to which it is connected, and which it helped
organize. We have to move beyond the Leibnitz world of monads- nodes are
not simply passive, and they also can exert a organizational influence over
the whole. Just as we can look to the ability of nodes to relay information
redundantly (as do libraries in a fashion), we need to consider the
uniqueness of the node, and the complex cybernetic environment in which any
node both works and is empowered. These questions will have strategic
importance as we move to new paradigms by which to consider war and media.

Willard (mailto:willard at well.com)