[Air-l] "Death" of a website

Joao Vieira da Cunha jvc at MIT.EDU
Wed Apr 3 04:48:25 PST 2002

Ralph,

I am looking at a similar phenomenon (with the difference that mine is
located within the corporate world) and there are two lenses that I found
useful:

1) The social movements literature. Some of the supporting structures of
social movements such as strikes have different life spans. In my case, an
intranet based newsgroup had major activity for a couple of years but then
was reduced to nothing because of the investment in reputation and emotion
that participation entailed. I am very much indebted to my colleague Karim
Lakhani (lakhani at mit.edu) for introducing me to this literature and he has
an interesting piece of research looking at virtual open-source software
communities using the social movements lens. You may also want to get in
touch with gim.

2) The literature on anthropology. In my own research, I have found that
virtual spaces tend to provide 'liminal' spaces where people can carry
rituals and activities that they would not be willing or able to in RL.

I'd be interested in  hearing more about your own lenses,

Thanks

Joao

PhD Student / MIT Sloan