[Air-l] Internet Researchers in Japan

Steven Clift slc at publicus.net
Thu Apr 11 14:24:37 PDT 2002

I am hoping to connect with various Internet researchers when I am in
Japan in May.  Below is a note that I am circulating around Japan.
Please forward as appropriate.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Steven Clift

P.S. I may stop in South Korea if there is interest in arranging some
sort of e-democracy presentation.  Any ideas?

E-Democracy and Japan

On Wednesday, May 22, 2002 I will be speaking at a symposium on e-
democracy in Tokyo, Japan. This will be my first visit to Japan. This
message is a short introduction to my work and a request for advice
and contacts. Please forward this message to those you think will be
interested.

** To connect with me and others interested in e-democracy
** in Japan, send an e-mail to:
**              do-japan-subscribe at yahoogroups.com
** For e-democracy news, visit: http://e-democracy.org/do

What is e-democracy?

A simple definition of e-democracy is the use of the Internet in
governance, politics, elections, media and community.  I have spoken
on this topic hundreds of times across twenty countries.  I look
forward to learning about e-democracy trends in Japan and comparing
notes.

To learn more, read my "Future of E-Democracy," "E-Democracy E-Book,"
and other articles on my web site <http://www.publicus.net>.  My
Democracies Online Newswire e-mail announcement list connects 2400
people around the world interested in this topic.  Join this
important e-mail list and read past messages at
<http://www.e-democracy.org/do>.  To auto-translate my materials try
<http://world.altavista.com/>.

A request for advice.

In the days following the symposium I plan to meet people involved
with e-democracy-related projects in media, politics, community and
government.  Please e-mail suggested names and contact information to
me <clift at publicus.net>.  In particular, I would like to meet the
staff who work on Prime Minister Koizumi's e-mail newsletter
<http://www.kantei.go.jp/jp/m-magazine/>, those involved with
wireless political content on iMode, and citizens involved with very
local uses of the Internet for local community involvement and
discussions.

Meeting and learning.

In major cities around the world I have organized small informal
public gatherings where people interested in e-democracy can meet one
another.  We will meet online first and organize the details.  Join
my e-mail list for contacts in Japan by sending an e-mail to
<do-japan-subscribe at yahoogroups.com>.

I am also considering organizing a special half-day workshop for a
limited number of participants on Friday, May 24 or Saturday, May 25.
Depending upon potential sponsors and costs, there will likely be a
fee to participate. Send me an e-mail if you would like more
information on attending or sponsoring this event
<clift at publicus.net>.

Thank you,

Steven Clift

P.S. You can read my full biography at <http://www.publicus.net>. The
short version is that I helped create the world's first election-
oriented web site in 1994 called Minnesota E-Democracy, coordinated e-
government for the State of Minnesota 1994-97, served as Co-
Editor of the G8 Democracy and Government Online Service Publication,
and I was a co-founder of Web White & Blue, a project of the
Markle Foundation which organized an online presidential campaign
debate in 2000.  Today, I am a global e-democracy expert,
speaker and consultant. I continue to volunteer with Minnesota E-
Democracy
<http://www.e-democracy.org> which is recognized as a leading host of
online citizens discussions that matter in real politics and
community.

Steven L. Clift    -    W: http://www.publicus.net
Minneapolis    -   -   -     E: clift at publicus.net
Minnesota  -   -   -   -   -    T: +1.612.822.8667
USA    -   -   -   -   -   -   -     ICQ: 13789183