[Air-l] social history of computers

Jay Hauben jrh29 at columbia.edu
Mon Apr 15 20:36:09 PDT 2002

Hi,

I have always found reading Fire in the Valley of value. It captures
some of the social context and aspirations of the early personal
computer activists. This book helps to confirm Michael Hauben's
insight that the personal computer was somehow intimately connected
with the Free Speech movement. I include one of the reviews I found
online:

Fire in the Valley by Paul Freiberger and Michael Swaine

"The first book to chronicle not only the technological innovation,
but also the social legacy created by the true "fathers" of the
personal computer; a very human, sometimes funny and always articulate
story of the industry's otherwise cloudy origins. The pages are filled
with the people, the projects, and the frenzy that built the personal
computer industry."

            -- Computer Currents

Take care.

Jay