[Air-l] information needed about international Internet research funding

Alek Tarkowski alektarkowski at yahoo.co.uk
Mon Apr 22 10:34:53 PDT 2002

Hi,

First, let me introduce myself. My name is Alek Tarkowski, I am a PhD
student at the Dept. of Sociology, Central European University in
Warsaw, Poland. I am working on a PhD about social influence of Internet
and new media, although Internet Studies as a discipline is virtually
nonexistent in Poland, and media studies as a whole are rather weak.
I've been lurking on this list for a while now.

I am writing in hope of getting advice on funding matters. Together with
a group of young scholars and students we have formed an Internet
Research Workgroup. We are doing some research, but would also like to
start translating and publishing key books on this subject - since there
are very few readings on the subject available in Polish. We checked
with a range of Polish publishers and found out that none of them are
able publish a scientific book on this matter without external financing.

I am hoping that maybe somebody on the list knows about any sources that
could fund such a project: translation into Polish and publishing of
scientific books on social studies of the Internet.

I will be grateful for any information, sent off the list to this email
or atarkows at ceu.edu.pl

Thanks,

Alek Tarkowski