[Air-l] Re: Friendship

Barry Wellman wellman at chass.utoronto.ca
Thu Apr 25 10:37:49 PDT 2002

Denise Carter asked about studies of friendship on and off line,

I've been writing about friendship for 35 years. Perhaps the best recent
summaries are in the intro chapter to my Networks in the Global Village
book (Westview Press) "The Network Community", and my article in the
International Journal of Urban and Regional Research, 2001, Physical Place
and Cyber Place.  Both are review pieces packed with references. Almost
final versions of each are on my website.

The American Behavioral Scientist, Nov 2001, has 10 articles about the
Internet in Everyday Life, and another 10 articles are added to these in
Wellman & Haythornthwaite, eds, The Internet in Everyday Life (Blackwell,
fall 2002).

 Barry

  wellman at chass.utoronto.ca   http://www.chass.utoronto.ca/~wellman