[Air-l] History of computer

Charlie Breindahl hitch at hum.ku.dk
Mon Apr 15 08:46:06 PDT 2002

This should yield a few leads...  ;-)

Bardini, Thierry. 1995. The Social Construction of the Personal Computer User. Journal of Communication, Summer.

———. 2000. Bootstrapping: Douglas Engelbart, Coevolution, and the Origins of Personal Computing. Stanford, CA: Stanford University Press.

Edwards, Paul N. 1996. The closed world: computers and the politics of discourse in Cold War America. Cambridge, MA: MIT Press.

Hafner, Katie, and Matthew Lyon. 1998. Where wizards stay up late: the origins of the Internet. New York: Touchstone.

Rheingold, Howard. 2000. Tools for Thought: The History and Future of Mind-Expanding Technology. 2nd Rev. ed: MIT Press.

Smith, Douglas K., and Robert C. Alexander. 1988. Fumbling the Future: How Xerox invented, then ignored, the first personal computer. New York: William Morrow and Company, Inc.

Waldrop, M. Mitchell. 2001. The Dream Machine. J. C. R. Licklider and the Revolution That Made Computing Personal. New York: Penguin.

winston, Brian. 1998. Media technology & society: a history from the telegraph to the internet. London: Routledge.

Best,
Charlie
--
Charlie Breindahl
Ph.D. Student, Copenhagen + Malmö

Web:    http://staff.hum.ku.dk/hitch/
        http://www.creativeenvironments.mah.se/
Phone:  +45 35 32 81 19 or +46 40 665 71 51
Mobile: +45 51 92 15 98
E-mail: hitch at hum.ku.dk

"For the modern Don Quixote, the windmills have been preprogrammed to turn into knights"
        - Janet H. Murray