[Air-l] query for a friend: ebay

Mike T. Hubler hublerm at email.uah.edu
Wed Apr 17 06:35:19 PDT 2002

>>I'm working on a paper
> >for SCS on "Ebay as Archive" and surprisingly
> >I am finding very little intellectual work on
> >"the world's largest marketplace." Any suggestions where I might
> >go looking?

I am coming to the close of a dissertation project on Internet-mediated
ethos, which uses eBay as a primary artifact for analysis.  Unfortunately, I
have found very little previously published work on eBay itself, at least in
the humanities and social sciences.  Laura Gurak makes brief reference to it
in __Cyberliteracy__,  where she notes, among other things, the
commodification of "community" on eBay.  Josh Boyd presented a conference
paper at the 2000 National Communication Association in Seattle on eBay as
virtual orality "without an auctioneer's voice."  Part of this paper is
published in __American Speech__ , vol. 76:3.  I did find more resources in
business journals, but because they were not as useful to me I do not save a
list of those sources. As I recall even the major database search engines:
EBSCO, Infotrack, etc., came up with hits on eBay in business journals.

Mike T. Hubler