[Air-l] hmm, last mile, imaginations, and historical projections

mailbokz at gmx.net mailbokz at gmx.net
Fri Aug 2 03:00:01 PDT 2002

Jeremy,

I believe that broadband internet connections would change life in rural
areas. Perhaps not the 'real farmers' (the people actually working) but
definitely for their children; the next generation. It'll bring them more in touch
with urban life. Whether broadband slows down or even reverts emigration from
rural areas to cities or further enforces it is ambiguos.
I could imagine both things to happen. On the one hand it could be that as a
consequence more people would move to urban areas (study, just to live
there, etc.) and not come back as Matt has pointed out in his 2nd point. On the
other hand diffusion of broadband technology could reverse things since time,
place etc. do not really matter on the internet where anything can be done
ansynchronously. Especially if broadband is paired with a flatrate connection
(is it offered without???) I think this might happen.

groetjes, moritz

http://www.gmx.net