[Air-l] 2002 Media Ecology Association Awards

jeremy hunsinger jhuns at vt.edu
Thu Aug 8 06:11:03 PDT 2002

Geert posted these to nettime-l, so i'm sending them on.
Congratulations to everyone involved, and special congrats for those
members of AoIR in the awardees:)

Announcing the 2002 Media Ecology Association Awards:

The Marshall McLuhan Award for Outstanding Book in the Field of Media
Ecology to Douglas Rushkoff for Coercion: Why We Listen to What "They" Say

The Walter Benjamin Award for Outstanding Article in the Field of Media
Ecology to Erik P. Bucy and Kimberly S. Gregson for "Media Participation: A
Legitimizing Mechanism of Mass Democracy"

The Susanne K. Langer Award for Outstanding Scholarship in the Ecology of
Symbolic Form to Kevin G. Barnhurst and John Nerone for The Form of News: A
History

The Lewis Mumford Award for Outstanding Scholarship in the Ecology of
Technics to Jack Lule for Daily News, Eternal Stories: The Mythological Role
of Journalism

The Dorothy Lee Award for Outstanding Scholarship in the Ecology of Culture
to Susan B. Barnes for Online Connections: Internet Interpersonal
Relationshipsand to Stuart Biegel for Beyond Our Control? Confronting the
Limits of Our Legal System in the Age of Cyberspace

The John Culkin Award for Outstanding Praxis in the Field of Media Ecology
to William Bly and John McDaid  for Media Ecology Unplugged (Audio music
recording, available on CD and as downloadable MP3 files at infomonger.com)

The Harold A. Innis Award for Outstanding Thesis or Dissertation in the
Field of Media Ecology to Janet Sternberg for Misbehavior in Cyber Places:
The Regulation of Online Conduct in Virtual Communities on the Internet

The Louis Forsdale Award for Outstanding Educator in the Field of Media
Ecology to Edmund Carpenter

The Jacques Ellul Award for Outstanding Media Ecology Activism to Parry
Aftab

--
Jeremy Hunsinger		http://www.cddc.vt.edu/jeremy
cddc/political science		http://www.cddc.vt.edu