[Air-l] Conference Announcement (fwd)

Barry Wellman wellman at chass.utoronto.ca
Mon Aug 26 10:16:17 PDT 2002

fyi

 Barry

  wellman at chass.utoronto.ca   http://www.chass.utoronto.ca/~wellman

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Mon, 26 Aug 2002 13:31:40 -0400
From: KMDI <kmdi.info at utoronto.ca>
To: KMDIARY-L at listserv.utoronto.ca
Subject: Conference Announcement

Press Release 19 August 2002 - For Immediate Release

Doors of Perception # 7
Flow: The design challenge of pervasive computing
14,15,16 November 2002 Amsterdam
http://flow.doorsofperception.com

What happens to society when there are hundreds of microchips for every man,
woman and child on the planet - most of them (the chips) talking to each
other? What are the implications of a world filled with sensors and
actuators? What does 'the world as spread sheet' look like? What will it
mean it to be 'always on' in a real-time economy?

Some of the world's most insightful designers, thinkers and entrepreneurs
will address these questions at Doors of Perception 7 in Amsterdam on 14, 15
and 16 November 2002.The theme of the celebrated international gathering is
flow: the design challenge of pervasive computing.

Up until now, we have filled our world with complex technical systems - on
top of the natural systems that were already here, and social/cultural ones
that evolved over thousands of years - without thinking much about the
consequences. Some of those consequences, such as environmental
degradation - have been dire as a result. We need to think right now about
the consequences of this new technological revolution in smart systems and
ambient intelligence. In particular we need to decide: "to what question is
pervasive computing an answer?"

Among the keynote speakers in the Doors of Perception programme are:

Ton van Asseldonk, an expert on the concept of mass-individualization in
services
Janine Benyus, the author of the widely-praised Biomimicry: innovations
inspired by nature
Ben van Berkel and Caroline Bos, principals of UN Architects, The
Netherlands
Peter Bogh Andersen, who compares flow design to navigating a ship
Stefano Boeri, urban designer of ports in the Mediterranean - Genoa, Naples,
Salerno
Ole Bouman, editor of Archis magazine
Joshua Davis winner of a Golden Nica, the highest honour in international
net design.
Aditya Dev Sood, Director of the Centre for Knowledge Societies, Bangalore
Luis Fernández-Galiano, author of Fire and Memory: On Architecture and
Energy
Felice Frankel, MIT scientist and director of the Envisioning Science
project
J C Herz, founder and CEO of Joystick Nation, applies complex systems to
design
IVO JANSSEN, pianist
NATALIE JEREMIJENKO, Centre for Advanced Technology, New York University
Derrick de Kerckhove, Director of the McCluhan Programme at the University
of Toronto
Rob van Kranenburg, Flow editor
Ezio Manzini, renowned expert on sustainability and the design of services
Patricia de Martelaere, rising star of European philosophy, and author of
What remains
Malcom McCullough, author of Abstracting Craft and the forthcoming On
Digital Ground
Franziska Nori, curator of the hit exhibition, I Love You on hackers and
viruses
Felix Stalder, co-moderator of the Nettime mailing list and director of
Openflows
Bruce Sterling, author, journalist, editor, critic, leader of the Viridians
Marco Susani, director of the advanced concepts group at Motorola Consumer
Experience
PHILIP TABOR, formerly direc tor of studies, Bartlett School of
Architecture, London
John Thackara, first Perceptron, Doors of Perception
Axel Thallemer, pneumatics guru and founder of Festo Corporate Design in
Germany
Gillian WiLdman, The Design Council, London

Open Doors - Design Grand Prix
Who has the most exciting, innovative and meaningful project for the future
use of pervasive computing? To find out, we are staging an exciting special
event at the end of Day 2: Open Doors Design Grand Prix. In quick-fire,
five-minute presentations, 20 finalists - selected by our advisors from
around the world - will present proposals for design scenario projects to a
jury of experts.

Conference venue:
RAI Convention Centre
Europaplein
NL-1078 GZ Amsterdam
The Netherlands

Doors of Perception
Doors of Perception (Doors) brings together innovators, entrepreneurs,
educators, and designers, who need to imagine alternative futures -
sustainable ones - and take design steps to realize them. Our products are a
better understanding of the design process; scenarios for services that meet
emerging needs in new ways; and new connections and capabilities among
innovative people and organisations.

Contact details
E: press at doorsofperception.com (Livia Ponzio)
T: 00 31 20 596 3220
F: 00 31 20 596 3202
W: http://flow.doorsofperception.com

Subscribe to Doors' email newsletter at:
http://www.doorsofperception.com