[Air-l] hmm, last mile, imaginations, and historical projections

jeremy hunsinger jhuns at vt.edu
Thu Aug 1 16:10:27 PDT 2002

I'm sitting here looking at several fairly substantial proposals for
programs taking rural last mile broadband into account and was thinking
that taking the lastmile to the house in rural america may not have the
effects that are projected.  any opinions, theories, thoughts?

  I'm thinking that there is corresponding detraditionalizations that may
not have lasting positive effects on these communities, though immediate
economic effects may occur.  I'm thinking this will promote an overall
migration and population transition toward more urbanization, etc. which
of course is not supportive to small rural communities, which may in the
end result in a new gentrification of those communities by displaces
upper class urbanites looking to operate off of the broadband, thus
possibly creating the same situation as occured with industrialization
with the automobile in the south.  again, thoughts, theories, opinions?

I mean what we have is a certain number of imaginations of the future,
sometimes even supported by research and i could really use some more
citations on this, that seem to assume a certain set of goods in
development and goods in the expansion of technologies for the
populace...

so in short, let me know.

jeremy hunsinger
jhuns at vt.edu