[Air-l] Usability readings

Danny Butt db at dannybutt.net
Tue Aug 20 21:26:00 PDT 2002

Hi,

Someone asked me off-list for some readings on issues of design and
usability, here are a few places I think are useful... and may be of
interest to the group...

Danny

Christina Wodtke's excellent blogs on User Centred Design and Usability
http://www.eleganthack.com/archives/cat_user_centered_design.html

Don Norman, Emotion and design: Attractive things work better.
http://www.jnd.org/dn.mss/Emotion-and-design.html

An older, excellent overview on non-boring usability from M$
http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/dnsiteplan/
html/improvingsiteusa.asp

Good rundown on various ethnographic usability methods:
http://www.newarchitectmag.com/archives/2001/02/ellis/

A more scholarly take on the information vs. experience debate:
http://ic.media.mit.edu/people/jseo/courses/cms800/final-paper.html

Nathan Shredoff's philosophy
http://www.nathan.com/thoughts/unified/unified.pdf

If you're a flash developer, an excellent article on Flash Usability
http://www.flazoom.com/usability/usability_I_1.shtml

Interesting accessibility article: embracing Diversity in Design
http://www.webmasterbase.com/printTemplate.php?aid=761

Kim Goodwin from Cooper design, interesting takes on usability:
http://www.cooper.com/articles/art_an_interview_with_kim_goodwin.htm