[Air-l] 9/11 web memorialization

pricep pricep at ssrc.org
Tue Aug 27 11:16:44 PDT 2002

Hi Amy-

Paul Price here, editor of the Social Science Research Council and the
website "After September 11," organized by the Council. Becky Lentz
contacted us about the article you're doing on 9/11, memorialization and
websites. While I can't claim any expertise on the subject, one of our
essayists from the web project might well offer some valuable background
perspective for you. Her name is Marita Sturken, and she is an associate
professor at the Annenberg School for Communications, University of Southern
California. She has written a well praised book called Tangled Memories: The
Vietnam War, the AIDS Epidemic, and the Politics of Remembering, and her
essay for our Sept 11 website was on "Memorializing Absence." She can be
reached at sturken at usc.edu . Her essay can be found at
http://www.ssrc.org/sept11/essays/sturken.htm A revision of the essay has
become the last chapter for our collection of writings called Understanding
September 11, published by The New Press. I think you'll find it useful in
thinking about the broad issues of memory and 9/11, and I'm sure she would
be an interesting interview.

Regards,
Paul

Paul M. Price