[Air-l] Thom is going fishing.

thom thom at indiana.edu
Thu Aug 29 09:05:55 PDT 2002

I have some funding to take the MIME show on the road a bit this fall to
potential grad students. I'm particularly interested in visiting some of
the interesting liberal arts colleges in the midwest: Oberlin, Grinnell,
Dennison, Carleton, Antioch, Earlham, Beloit, etc.

MIME is pretty visual but our primary focus is interactive storytelling
and computer game design which means art, music, storytelling and creative
programming in all sorts of combinations. Our students have no single
background and range from Philosophy and Religion to Biology, Math and
Physics to art, music, storytelling and computer science.

MIMEsters do all sorts of things such as create their own businesses,
develop non-profit organizations which deal with newmedia and social
justice issues and go on to interactive design at places such as Universal
Studios, Sony Online, ATT and most recently Lucas Arts.

A side benefit of the visit is a non-threatening show and tell of how
interactive media is the heart and soul of a liberal arts education in the
21st century. Non-threatening in that I am only there for a day. For some
faculty that is enough. 8-) I'll be showing 'fun' but with game-like
projects based in biological science, native American language studies,
Dante and mid American history.

Friday afternoons will work best for me. Will probably wander, Powerbook
in hand, mid September to late October. Any takers?

--Thom

 \\\\////                tHoM gIllEsPiE
 /ww  ww\   Indiana University, Telecommunications Dept
6 (*][*) ?       1229 E 7th St      Radio & TV Bldg
 \  .7  /          Bloomington, IN 47405-5501 USA
  ( --')       thom at indiana.edu     812-855-3254 (v)
   WWWW      THE MIME PROGRAM:   www.mime.indiana.edu
  / WW \     www.indiana.edu/~slizzard/resume/page.html
What is the use of a book, thought Alice, without pictures or
conversation. -Lewis Carroll, Alice's Adventure in Wonderland