[Air-l] validity of the research

david_eddy_spicer at harvard.edu david_eddy_spicer at harvard.edu
Wed Aug 7 18:28:24 PDT 2002

Aurelija raises a question that echoes the "paradigm dialogue" over the
past quarter century--debates  among qualitative and quantitative
researchers about what counts for truth, what it means to know.

[Up on soapbox] Questions of validity are fundamental to the logic of your
research, which points to what you're asking and how you set about to
answer it. There's no one right answer (i.e., validity =  "triangulate");
validity is the mortar of your overall approach. There are also different
kinds of threats to validity, ranging across whether you captured what you
thought you captured to whether you've considered alternative explanations
to understand what you found.

[Down from soapbox] "...just trust..." isn't enough, but what _is_ ?
Especially when you've given up on notions of objective truth, as I assume
you have if you're doing some kind of interpretive analysis of online
exchanges.

Here's what educational researcher Joe Maxwell has to say: "[T]he idea of
objective truth isn't essential to a theory of validity that does what most
researchers want it to do, which is to give them some grounds for
distinguishing accounts that are credible from those that are not."
(Qualitative Research Design, p. 87).

So then, what's credible? The answer lies in the integrity of your
design--how different facets--theory (and the epistemology that implies)
and methodology--come together to form a whole.

David