[Air-l] Re: severe misreading of usability discourse

craig stroupe cstroupe at d.umn.edu
Tue Aug 20 22:39:54 PDT 2002

Dear Danny:  Thank you for the prompt and thoughtful response to the
CFP.  Since you replied to the AIR list, I hope you won't mind if I respond
in the same forum.

My intent is not to denounce usability, as I hope other portions of my CFP
make clear, but to advance the very dialogue between the traditions of
humanities-based writing/design and the science of usability which your own
experiences seems to embody.  I hope you'll consider contributing an
abstract to the collection.  In compiling it, I certainly don't intend to
favor of one side or the other since the point is ultimately to move forward.

If I didn't find usability so useful , I wouldn't feel compelled to try to
reconcile it--or at least to try dialogically to engage it with--the
creative/expressive assumptions of my own experiences in the humanities
(rhetoric/comp, creative writing, computer-assisted composition, literary
studies, publishing, online education, etc.).  I'm more interested in the
energy of the dialogue than in any final resting place "beyond."

You're right that I _am_ very familiar with Jacob Nielsen, whose work I
assign in my classes.  Each semester, my students and I learn much from his
work while having a lively debate with him.  I can tell you he holds his
own.  I acknowledge that parts of my CFP may have borrowed from the style
of his broad brush, which seems fair and even necessary.

Best wishes, - Craig