[Air-l] validity of the research

John B. White john.white at wku.edu
Wed Aug 21 10:17:30 PDT 2002

EGodard wrote:

> Aurelija asks:
> > Introducing qualitative research in the seminar, I was asked a question
> > about the validity of online researches: how may we trust the
> > results, when
> > we don't get non-verbal information and how can we be sure whether the
> > respondent says the truth or lies...
>
> That all depends on what kind of results you mean. We can trust what someone
> emails, when they email it, and the context (thread and posters) in which
> they post it. Online behavior itself does not need to be validated, does it?
>
> - Ellis

I have to admit, this particular criticism always bothers me.  Frankly, its a
concern in all research.  Why is online considered so much more succeptible to
it?  I've yet to see anything that suggests people "lie" more online than they
"lie" filling out paper and pencil tests or even talking to researchers?  If you
have references on this topic, I'd be very interested in seeing them.

JW

John White, Ph.D.                   |         O: 270.745.5867
Associate Professor                 |         F: 270.745.4437
Dept. of Public Health              |         W: http://www.wku.edu/~whitejb
Western Kentucky University         |         E: john.white at wku.edu