[Air-l] special issue on Borgmann available online

Charles Ess cmess at lib.drury.edu
Wed Aug 28 07:55:10 PDT 2002

Colleagues:
For those of you interested in philosophy of technology as a framework (one
of _many_, of course) for Internet research, you may find the recent special
issue of _Techne: Journal of the Society for Philosophy and Technology_
of value:
http://scholar.lib.vt.edu/ejournals/SPT/v6n1/

The special issue is devoted to Albert Borgmann's 1999 _Holding on to
Reality: : The Nature of Information at the Turn of the Millennium_, which I
think of a one of the two or three most important books around on IT from a
philosophy of technology perspective.

Yes, my essay is included - in which I shamelessly exploit the work of many
aoir folk, including Nancy Baym, Jan Fernback, Lisa Nakamura (specifically,
her keynote address at aoir 2.0), Malin Sveningsson, and Barry Wellman et
al.

Borgmann replies to the essays, which makes for a very interesting read
indeed.

enjoy!

Charles Ess
Director, Interdisciplinary Studies Center
Drury University
900 N. Benton Ave.                          Voice: 417-873-7230
Springfield, MO  65802  USA            FAX: 417-873-7435
Home page:  http://www.drury.edu/ess/ess.html
Co-chair, CATaC 2002: http://www.it.murdoch.edu.au/~sudweeks/catac02/

Education is what is left over after you've forgotten everything that you've
learned.  (source unknown)