[Air-l] webdiaries studies

Frank Schaap schaap at pscw.uva.nl
Mon Aug 5 08:08:42 PDT 2002

Lefèbvre wrote:
> as Belgian teacher of psychopedagogy, I'm finalizing a complementary cursus in Educational Science. Therefore, I would like to get some more studies on webdiaries. Although a lot of works exist on online social relationships, I have found only two studies specifically on webdiaries (+1 in French):

> -Biggs SMA, 2000. "Charlotte's web": how one woman weaves positive relationships on the net. CyberPsychology and Behavior 3: 655-663.

I just read this article and I'm a bit puzzled by what you mean by "webdiaries".

The article deals with how for one participant/interviewee her online experiences turned out to be "transformational" on a personal level; the author focuses mainly on the psychological aspects of the "relationship with the self" and "relationships with others." The article mentions that the participant kept a diary, but most of the data seems to come from the interviews. There is no mention that this diary is any different from a 'normal' paper-based diary... indeed, it may well have been a paper-based diary.

When you wrote "webdiaries" I though you were talking about diaries kept online, on the web. Which leads me back to your intriguing sounding research... what is a "webdiary" for you?

Frank.