[Air-l] Sessions about the Internet: August 16, Friday, Chicago, IL

Lisa-Jane McGerty L.J.Mcgerty at Bradford.ac.uk
Wed Aug 14 02:27:17 PDT 2002

Sessions about the Internet: August 16, Friday, ChicaWill there be a way of accessing the content of these panels online by any chance? I'm particularly interested in the second one.
Just a thought from someone on the other side of the pond who can't therefore just "drop in"!
Lisa
  ----- Original Message -----
  From: bakera at ohiou.edu
  To: air-l at aoir.org
  Sent: Tuesday, August 13, 2002 8:19 PM
  Subject: [Air-l] Sessions about the Internet: August 16, Friday, Chicago, IL

  Hello, as I solicited papers from this list as well as through The American Sociological Association, I wanted to extend an invitation to you to attend these two panels containing the work of some A(O)IR members.  If anyone is in Chicago on August  16th, this Friday and can get to the Chicago Hilton and Palmer House hotels, there are two session you could drop in and see.  Please write me for the room numbers which I will have on Thursday.  Thanks!

  10:30 a.m.
      The Internet and Society I:  Regulations, Protest, and Popular Applications
      Organizer and Presider:  Andrea Baker, Ohio University
      --"Different Faces in the Cyber Dragon World: A Comparative Analysis of the Internet Regulations in Four Chinese Societies - China, Hong Kong, Singapore and Taiwan"
           Cheng-Nan Hou, SUNY Buffalo
      --"Cyberpower and Hactivism:  Direct Action, Power, and Politics Online"
           Tim Jordan, Open University, UK
      --"Adult Social Bonds and Use of Internet Pornography"
            Steven Stack, Wayne State, Ira Wasserman, Roger Kern, Eastern Michigan
      --"'Thanks for Leaving Positive feedback!' Digital Conversation, Discursive Practices and Framing in a Community/Market"
            Ryan Sperry, Columbia University
      Discussant:  Lori Kendall, SUNY Purchase

  4:30 p.m.
      The Internet and Society II:  Studying Internet Use:  How, Who and Why?
      Organizer and Presider:  Andrea Baker, Ohio University
      --"The Internet in Everyday Life"
           Carolyn Haythornthwaite, University of Illinois, Urbana-Champaign,
           Barry Wellman, University of Toronto
      --"Participants" and "Observers" in Online Ethnography: Five Stories About Identity"
            Lori Kendall, SUNY Purchase
      --"Internet Communication and Changes in Contact with Others"
            Sheila Cotten, University of Maryland, Baltimore County,
            Elizabeth Davison, Appalachian State,
            Heather Hax, University of Maryland, Baltimore County
      --"The Social Shaping of the New Information and Communication Technologies in Center and Periphery"
            Markus Schultz, New School
      Discussant:  Steve Jones, University of Illinois at Chicago