[Air-l] come to Toronto!

Barry Wellman wellman at chass.utoronto.ca
Sat Dec 14 09:49:31 PST 2002

Folks,

The University of Toronto now offers guaranteed funding for all accepted
graduate students, including those from abroad. The specs are below,
edited a bit to focus on the interests of list members.
Please contact me -- or other department members -- if interested.

Feel free to forward to others.

 Barry

  wellman at chass.utoronto.ca   http://www.chass.utoronto.ca/~wellman

Graduate Research in Sociology at the University of Toronto

The Department of Sociology at the University of Toronto offers guaranteed
financial support to first-class students who want to become professional
sociologists. Masters students receive one year of funding. Doctoral
students receive four-year funding. This support is often a combination of
fellowships and assistantships.

As a large and strong department, we encompass diverse interests. Our
areas of special strength include the sociologies of: Internet and
Technology, Social Networks, Community and Urban, as well as Crime,
Deviance and Addictions; Comparative Welfare States; Demography;
Ethnicity, Health; Immigration and Settlement;  Social History; Social
Policy. We are particularly looking for students prepared to study with
faculty and fellow students in these areas. Students who have experience
with computer packages for analyzing qualitative and quantitative data
will find ample opportunity to develop their interests.

You will benefit from the University of Toronto's many resources: one of
the world's largest libraries, excellent computer facilities (including
two labs in the department), and the numerous research centres, such as
Community and Urban Studies and the Knowledge Media Design [Internet and
Society]; as well as Criminology; Gender; Human Development, Aging
and the Life Course; Industrial Relations; International Relations.

Statistics Canada's on-campus Research Data Centre provides unparalleled
opportunities to work with the National Longitudinal Survey of Children
and Youth, the Youth in Transition Survey, the National Population Health
Survey, the Survey of Labour and Income Dynamics the Longitudinal Survey
of Immigrants to Canada, and related datasets.

For further information and downloadable application forms, contact our
Web site at http://www.utoronto.ca/sociology. Please note that applicants
from outside Canada are required to submit GRE scores.

If you have a special interest in my areas of expertise, I will be pleased
to correspond with you.