[Air-l] 2003 the anniversary of the birth of the Internet

Jay Hauben jrh29 at columbia.edu
Sun Dec 15 09:50:29 PST 2002

Hi,

The early development of tcp/ip began in 1973, and the cutover from
the ARPANET protocol NCP to the Internet protocol TCP/IP was in
January 1983. Thus the coming new year 2003 marks the 30th anniversary
of the beginnings of tcp/ip and the 20th anniversary of the cutover to
tcp/ip from NCP on the ARPANET and the split between ARPANET and
MILNET in 1983.

Indeed 2003 is a time to celebrate as an important anniversary of the
birth of the internet.

Ronda
ronda at panix.com

P.S. A while ago I wrote a paper about the tcp/ip digest which documents
the period of the cutover from NCP to tcp/ip.

That paper is online at http://www.ais.org/~ronda/new.papers/tcpdraft.txt

I also have a paper about the early development of tcp/ip that
is online at http://www.columbia.edu/~rh120/other/birth_internet.txt