[Air-l] does email reduce prejudice

Barry Wellman wellman at chass.utoronto.ca
Sun Dec 1 10:01:25 PST 2002

The Ray Ozzie NY Times article for Dec 1 (thanks to Art McGee for sending
it) says that email allows people to work together "mind to mind,
regardless of their physical well-being. You can work with someone without
prejudice, and their true talents will be shown."

This is a comforting thought that many of us have proposed and written
about. But it's really a hypothesis. Has any research been done in the
past few years on the extent to which e-contact reduces prejudice?

Please don't send me private comments or attachments; I'm away for the
next 8 days and I don't want a choked in-box.
 Barry

  wellman at chass.utoronto.ca   http://www.chass.utoronto.ca/~wellman