[Air-l] What is Instant Messaging

jeremy jhuns at vt.edu
Wed Dec 18 03:16:38 PST 2002

but it seems the innovation "something relatively new" as described in
your first post as

"online awareness + buddy list + over TCP/IP protocal + messaging"

need not have had anything to do with interface, as it crosses several
existing interfaces.  It was my point to argue that this list of
operations are not new.  I agree that interfaces are important also, but
it wasn't the point of my original point.  I think it might be good in
these situations to consider the cultural form that we are talking about
also.  just what is instant messaging, what would it have been comprable
to in 400bc, 100ad, 800ad, 1500, 1700, etc. etc.  the concept embedded
within the variety of world cultures is not new at all, this is a new
implementation, the systems underlying it are not even new in terms of
digital systems, though as i think we both agree, the interface is new
to some extent, though i think we may be able to find metaphorical
comparisons in other systems that have existed before, such as some of
the shared textual environments.  I remember when i used icq the first
time, my impression was that the interface was similar to parts of the
daedalus writing system.

granted, once im systems went into more personal devices you again have
a transformation of the interface, and different types of diffusion, but
in the end, what's new about it?  the interface?  ok, that's fine, but
systematically the operation of this is quite the same as many other
things in the digital world as i've previously discussed.  If the
similarities aren't present in your understanding of the systems, then i
think we may have different contexts that may be incommensurable in some
manner.

kindly remember that email is an interface too, and that capitalization
of whole words usually means you are yelling. i would not like to think
that is intended.

have a nice day,