[Air-l] What is Instant Messaging

Karim R. Lakhani lakhani at MIT.EDU
Mon Dec 23 14:22:42 PST 2002

> Amazing that people have such problems with the concept of Instant
> messaging.  The MIT system did not have a buddy system linked to
> personal awareness status that could be moved from computer account to
> computer account.  IT WAS NOT IM!
>
> Quentin

ermmm....I started using Zephyr @ MIT when I arrived here for my Masters
in Fall of 1997. It allowed me to stay in touch with all of my school
"buddies" on the network on "any" machine on which I was logged onto
(both private and public).  I could see who was online and who was not,
it announced when users of interest logged on etc.  I started using ICQ
in the Summer of 1998 and saw it as Zephyr on Steroids living in the
Windows Internet World.  It became a great way for me to stay in touch
with my non-Unix buddies and my Mom! (later on my Mom sending me IM's in
the middle of presentations).

I frankly did not see much difference between what Zephyr could do on
Project Athena at MIT and ICQ for Windows.

Best,

Karim R. Lakhani
MIT Sloan School of Management
MIT Free/Open Source Software Research Project
e-mail: lakhani at mit.edu
voice:  617-851-1224
fax:    617-344-0403
http://opensource.mit.edu