[Air-l] conference papers online - 2003

Ben Davidson bendavidson at totalise.co.uk
Tue Dec 31 07:23:36 PST 2002

Hi all,

Back in October there was much discussion on this list about the
availability of papers from the Maastricht conference online.  Or rather,
there was much discussion about the fact that they weren't available.  A
number of listmembers argued that putting them online was a simple process
that should take no time and were critical about the fact that this wasn't
done.  Others appreciated there were two significant reasons for this not
having been done - 1/ permission had not been sought from presenters and 2/
it would actually take a lot of planning and implementation time.

In Steve's AoIR Executive Committee Report earlier this month, he mentioned
that plans are afoot to do something of this sort for the Toronto conference
next year.  Various options are under discussion between the conference
organising group, the executive committee and other interested parties.  One
option under review is to create a CD-rom of proceedings (including videos
of keynote speeches), that could be available for sale after the event, with
proceeds paying for costs of production both of the CD and of online
versions of papers etc.

What is actually included on the CD and produced for online consumption will
most likely depend on the amount of work we might expect from volunteers in
putting together the relevant material.

Please would anyone interested in volunteering to take on some of this work
contact me by e-mail at ben.davidson at groupintervisual.net so we can start
getting an idea of the skills and resources available to make this happen?

Thanks, and good wishes for 2003.

Ben