[Air-l] storming.forming.informing

Steve Jones sjones at uic.edu
Sat Feb 9 15:34:09 PST 2002

I'm not even sure what we should infer from a '.edu' address. First
and most obviously we cannot and should not infer nationality,
ethnicity, etc. Second, we cannot infer residency, either. We
regularly have visiting scholars from other countries to whom we give
uic.edu addresses while they're with us. Are they residents? Well,
sure, while they're here for a few months. In some cases, though, the
address can be maintained after they leave. Third, many higher
education institutions in the U.S. allow students to keep their
e-mail addresses after they've graduated, and in those cases we could
have people 'round the world with '.edu' in their e-mail, too. So, to
a large degree, a '.edu' tells us that there's some kind of
association with a U.S. higher education institution, FWIW.

Sj