[Air-l] Using Online Citations to Defunct Web Sites

John B. White john.white at wku.edu
Fri Feb 15 13:19:53 PST 2002

This case was actually decided in one of the auction houses I think, Ebay?  I'd
have to look.  But deep linking is providing a link from your page, to a page
several layers deep in someone elses website.

For example, to download adobe acrobate reader, adobe quite naturally wants to
get some information from the user.  Lets say that I want my visitors to use
adobe, but not to plow through five+ pages of questions and advertisements, so I
figure out a way to link directly to the file download (copy the meta-refresh or
something similar).  This is an example of a deep link.  I've circumvented the
planned navigation of the website and altered their product in the process.

Does that help?

--JW