[Air-l] Of Burnished Gold

Nancy Baym nbaym at ku.edu
Fri Feb 8 20:21:58 PST 2002

Steve Jones wrote:

>At 4:38 PM -0500 2/8/02, Lachlan Brown wrote:
>[...stuff deleted, redundancy possibly avoided, important things
>potentially left out...]
>>Please provide the information I requested.
>
>For information about subscribers to air-l, you can send a "who"
>command - e-mail to air-l-request at aoir.org with the word who in the
>subject or body of the message.

If anyone bothers to calculate anything based on who command results,
please share what you come up with. I've played with it and it's
tedious (and with only domain names to go on, a huge chunk of which
are .com and .edu, it's dubiously informative). I think we can safely
say there are more Americans than residents of any other nation, but
there are a large number of nations represented by at least one
subscriber. There are at least 35-40 geographic domain names on the
subscriber list (including some African domains, Lachlan).

Remember also that there is a distinction between aoir members, of
whom there are approximately 450, and air-l subscribers, of whom
there are nearly 1,000. [plug for joining goes here, there are some
benefits that go with membership beyond the sheer glory of non-profit
giving].

To those of you who believe we should have members or air-l
participants from places we don't, or more from places that we have
only a few, or more of any kind of internet researcher for that
matter, I urge you to let such researchers know about us and invite
them to participate and/or join. We all have to share in the
responsibility of making aoir as inclusive as it can be. Broad
diversity can't be created by the executive committee no matter how
much the 11 of us wish it could, but it might be created by 1,000
list subscribers reaching out to those who aren't here. Toward that
end, the exec committee will soon be posting a few e-materials at
aoir.org that you can download and use to inform others about our
existence. I'll have more about that for you in the coming weeks.

In the meantime, believe me, there have been over 200 messages
exchanged on the executive committee mailing list so far in February.
I think it's a safe bet that the general readership of air-l does not
want to be burdened with all of our thought progresses at each moment
of their evolution.

Nancy
Nancy Baym
nbaym at ku.edu
http://www.ku.edu/home/nbaym
Communication Studies, University of Kansas
102 Bailey, 1440 Jayhawk Blvd., Lawrence, KS 66045, USA
Association of Internet Researchers: http://aoir.org