[Air-l] advice please:online citations

jeremy hunsinger jhuns at vt.edu
Fri Feb 15 06:23:20 PST 2002

Ed Lamoureux wrote:

>my editorial board is contemplating the issue and questions I've asked
>below. I expect that their input with help me make a consensus-based
>decision.
>
>However, since many of you folks publish in this arena, and all have
>interests and expertise here, I would benefit from hearing what you have
>to say on the matter. Thank you for considering my question.
>
>**************
>One of the authors we're publishing is writing about a film. He used a
>large number of quotations and citations from web sites dedicated to film
>reviews . . .
>
>his citations don't follow APA exactly . . . instead of noting the most
>current location of the materials, he notes the url as of the date he
>retrieved the piece, and that date.
>
>The format is close enough that I can let the technical/stylistic issue
>slide. However, some of the materials are no longer available at the
>specified locations.  I've asked him to go back and find alternatives; and
>told him that I will require a note that offers hard copy for interested
>readers who contact him.

no this won't do, it would be a neverending circle.  what should be done
is to add a short preamble to the citations or somewhere that explains
that internet based citations are ephemeral and that they might be found
in the webarchive or a few other places, barring that, they might not
exist anymore.

These things in your work then become important traces for historical
purposes, and you should still put them in as their original sources,
and if you do find a second source, you could add a "see also @" but
alternatives are not necessary.

>But let's assume for a moment that by the time I get the thing in print,
>25% of his cited stuff isn't available. Should I publish the piece at all?

yes, it serves many other purposes

>Do we need to set specific editorial policy about web-based
>documentation?

other than matching the standards reasonably no, i don't think so,
unless you want to require the preamble.