[Air-l] citing evanescent material

Barry Wellman wellman at chass.utoronto.ca
Sun Feb 17 18:42:22 PST 2002

Here's a belated response (I was at a conference) to the debate over
referencing URLs which may disappear.

It strikes me that we face the same thing in the print world, especially
for conference papers, reports, less-famous newspapers, and short-lived
journals. Even books may disappear (national libraries are not all
comprehensive, and not all countries have one.)

Nevertheless, we cite them and hope the reader can find them.

Altho the probability of URLs disappearing is higher in some fields -- but
probably not all -- I think the same rules apply,

Give your best effort to provide the reader with a guide to where to find
it.
And for Internet stuff, the date accessed (or should it be the date posted
to the Web, if avaiable?)
A problem rarely faced in the print world, except for the Great Soviet
Encylopedia.

 Barry

  wellman at chass.utoronto.ca   http://www.chass.utoronto.ca/~wellman