[Air-l] referencing conundrum

Barry Wellman wellman at chass.utoronto.ca
Tue Feb 19 12:42:44 PST 2002

I have yet another question on proper referencing.

Our _Internet in Everyday Life_ book is just about ready to go to the
publishers (containing most of your favorite authors, with evidence from
our the world).
We're cleaning references.

Some folks -- including me -- do URL cites to print sources: Economist, NY
Times, etc. But these typically don't contain the original print page
numbers. Is the URL OK, or do we need to schlep to the library (which may
not be nearby)* and look up print pages?

To complicate matters, with split-run editions, my NY Times in Toronto
doesn't look anything like a New Yorker's much fatter NY Times in terms of
page numbers.

My general inclination now is Not to run to the library and to just give
the URL. Laziness wins as I think the URL will be much more accessible to
people.

*True library anecdote. My library is setting up a "mylibrary" service
which purports to send me notices of intersting books and journals
tailored to my interests. When I went to register, the computer DB
rejected my library number. When I e-queried why, I was told that I "never
use the library." "But," I e-replied, "I use it every day, online."
Answer: "Online use doesn't count, even if it is for registering for an
online service." Now I gotta use Mapquest and figure out where my library
building is and actually go there for a FleshMeet ;-)
And so it goes...
 Barry

  wellman at chass.utoronto.ca   http://www.chass.utoronto.ca/~wellman