[Air-l] gender, age, social support and info tech use?

Eszter Hargittai eszter at phoenix.Princeton.EDU
Tue Feb 5 09:19:11 PST 2002

Hi,

My study (http://www.webuse.org ) looks at differences in people's online
skills.  As I try to write up some of my findings, I'm seeking some
related literature.

I'm looking for references on theorizing gender and age differences in
the use of information technologies as well as the role of social support
networks in people's use of info tech.  Let me clarify as these can all
mean lots of things.

I'm less interested in pointers to differences in what people do (e.g. x%
women do this online y% men do that online) and more curious to find
literature that tries to explain these differences.  In particular, I'm
interested in theorizing gender and age differences in people's ability to
use technologies (especially info tech).  I'm thinking there may also be a
gender*age interaction effect and would be especially curious to see
pieces that address that relationship.

Please note that I am NOT looking for literature on gender identity
expression online and am in general less interested here in the literature
on use of email, chat and other person-to-person communication media.. my
focus is on the ability to use technologies.  I know of a lot of
gender-related literature on the former, less on the latter.

Regarding social support networks, I'm looking for references on the
effects of people's social support networks on their use of information
technologies. Please note that I am NOT looking for the reverse - that is:
how use of info tech enhances or doesn't one's social capital - I'm
interested in works that discuss how one's social support networks may
affect one's use of info tech. (I realize this can get tricky as once
people start using info tech some of their social support networks may be
from interactions via those media.) I'm mainly curious about 1. how people
may be motivated to start using info tech due to their networks; and 2.
how they may turn to their support networks for help with use of info
tech.

Thanks for pointers to specific pieces (i.e. something more specific then
"xyz.org may have this info").  Also, I don't mean to be hostile by
stating what I'm not interested in, I'm just trying to focus since there
is so much material out there and I don't want to waste people's time.

I'll post a compilation of responses to the list.  Thanks!

Eszter

---
http://www.eszter.com