[Air-l] advice please:online citations

Ed Lamoureux ell at hilltop.bradley.edu
Fri Feb 15 06:11:23 PST 2002

my editorial board is contemplating the issue and questions I've asked
below. I expect that their input with help me make a consensus-based
decision.

However, since many of you folks publish in this arena, and all have
interests and expertise here, I would benefit from hearing what you have
to say on the matter. Thank you for considering my question.

**************
One of the authors we're publishing is writing about a film. He used a
large number of quotations and citations from web sites dedicated to film
reviews . . .

his citations don't follow APA exactly . . . instead of noting the most
current location of the materials, he notes the url as of the date he
retrieved the piece, and that date.

The format is close enough that I can let the technical/stylistic issue
slide. However, some of the materials are no longer available at the
specified locations.  I've asked him to go back and find alternatives; and
told him that I will require a note that offers hard copy for interested
readers who contact him.

But let's assume for a moment that by the time I get the thing in print,
25% of his cited stuff isn't available. Should I publish the piece at all?
Do we need to set specific editorial policy about web-based
documentation?

Your suggestions please.

Edward Lee Lamoureux, Ph. D.
Associate Professor,
Speech Communication and Multimedia
Editor, Journal of Communication and Religion
Bradley University
Peoria IL 61625
ell at bradley.edu
http://hilltop.bradley.edu/~ell