[Air-l] references on gender, age, support & info tech use

Eszter Hargittai eszter at phoenix.Princeton.EDU
Tue Feb 19 12:21:28 PST 2002

Hi,

A few weeks ago I asked for references to work on gender, age and the
importance of social support in the use of information technologies.
Here's a list of materials to which people (from this and some other
lists) pointed me and additional pieces I found while doing more research
on the topic.  Thanks to all those who sent me suggestions!

Eszter
---
http://www.eszter.com

Balka, E., and R. Smith. 2000. Women, Work and Computerization: Charting
 a Course to the Future. Boston: Kluwer Academic Publishers.

Bimber, B. 2000. "The Gender Gap on the Internet." Social Science
 Quarterly 81:868-876.

Boneva, B., R. Kraut, and D. Frohlich. 2001. "Using E-Mail for Personal
 Relationships: The Difference Gender Makes." American Behavioral
 Scientist 45:530-549.

Fox, M.F. 2001. "Women, Men, and Engineering." Pp. 249-257 in Gender
 Mosaics, edited by Vannoy. D. Los Angeles, CA: Roxbury Publishing.

Grint, K., and R. Gill (Eds.). 1995. The Gender-Technology Relation:
 Contemporary Theory and Research. Bristol, PA: Taylor and Francis.

Jackson, L.A., K.S. Ervin, P.D. Gardner, and N. Schmitt. 2001. "Gender
 and the Internet: Women Communicating and Men Searching." Sex Roles
 44:363-379.

Kiesler, S., B Zdaniuk, V. Lundmark, and R. Kraut. 2000. "Troubles With
 the Internet: The Dynamics of Help at Home." Human-Computer Interaction
 15:323-351.

Lally, E. 2002. At Home With Computers. Oxford & New York: Berg.

Loges, W.E., and J-Y. Jung. 2001. "Exploring the Digital Divide: Internet
 Connectedness and Age." Communication Research 28:536-562.

Schumacher, P., and Morahan-Martin. J. 2000. "Gender, Internet and
 Computer Attitudes and Experiences." Computers in Human Behavior.

Silverstone, R., and E. Hirsch (Eds.). 1992. Consuming Technologies:
 Media and Information in Domestic Spaces. New York: Routledge.

Singh, S. 2001. "Gender and Use of the Internet at Home." New Media &
 Society 3.

Smoreda, Z., and F. Thomas. 2001. "Social Networks and Residential ICT
 Adoption and Use." in EURESCOM Summit 2001. Heidelberg.
 http://www.eurescom.de/public/projects/P900-series/P903/ICT-data/default.asp

Turkle, S., and S. Papert. 1990. "Epistemological Pluralism: Styles and
 Voices within the Computer Culture." Signs 16:128-157.

van Zoonen, L. 1992. "Feminist Theory and Information Technology." Media,
 Culture and Society 14:9-30.