[Air-l] Computer-Mediated-Communication

Zunt at aol.com Zunt at aol.com
Tue Feb 5 14:43:25 PST 2002

In a message dated 2/5/2002 5:09:27 PM Eastern Standard Time, jvc at MIT.EDU
writes:

> I don't want to quabble around words, although I do like computer-aided
>  communication more than computer-mediated communication, what I am
>  interested in  is in being rigorous around the role of IT in communication
>  and find out if it's more than that of a mediator.

Hmmm.  The tacit evaluation conveyed in the adjective "computer-aided"
troubles me from time to time--when I'm feeling especially fussy ;>).  It
seems to me that computers often hamper various enterprises as frequently as
they aid them, whether those enterprises fall within the fields of
evaluation, design, diagnosis, communication, or whatever.  So given the
choice, I'd stick with the notion of mediation, especially as I try to
evaluate alternative interface designs from a variety of perspectives.

But I'm not always happy with the notion of 'mediation,' nor with the limited
concept of 'computer.'  As someone has already hinted, the field of
cyborgology encourages us to think more in terms of human-machine
integration; that goes far beyond both CMC and CAC, and sometimes provides me
with a better frame of reference.

Cheers,

Bob Briggs
Westport, MA