[Air-l] Re: Lurking

Ben Davidson bendavidson at totalise.co.uk
Mon Feb 11 06:56:41 PST 2002

ok, got you - it's these structural properties such as embeddedness in
face-to-face communities that make the hope for reciprocity, status and an
enhanced network more realistic, and thus facilitate active participation.
Am I closer?

As a group analyst, I sometimes wonder if online groups have a life and
character of their own, which is something more than all the variables we
could quantify.  I like the idea of embeddedness in face-to-face communities
being significant, mind you, and it fits in with my intuition that offering
visual (eg videoconference and streaming) facilities is likely to enhance
online communication and participation, but that's another story.

I just recalled someone relating the development of groups to quantum/chaos
theory, and wondering if the opening moments of a group's life might play
the most significant role in its future development, online or otherwise.

Either way, once some bad dynamics have taken hold, it often feels hard to
get a group to move on or be anything different, in my experience.

Do any of you have experiences of online groups being stuck in some really
unproductive style of interaction, and then, after some moment or process of
insight, starting to be more productive, creative etc.?

Ben