[Air-l] Using Online Citations to Defunct Web Sites

jeremy hunsinger jhuns at vt.edu
Fri Feb 15 11:44:02 PST 2002

the choice it seems to me is between maintaining your independent
archive or relying on existing archives.  I would do the latter, but I
do know what I use to do the former(because other people have projects
that I advised them about).  I use the capture facility in adobe acrobat
4+  it captures the visual image, the links, etc, which you can then
export the whole site to  postscript.  once it is in a standard language
like postscript you are very safe for preserving it in the future on
your own machine.  However, any time that you do save something, it is
important to also save something that can read it.

There are for instance huge sections of netart that are very hard to
access now because they were written in hypercard, there are files
written in obscure wordprocessors that we will probably never be able to
access again because most of the knowledge to read it has passed on.