[Air-l] Re: welcoming thoughts about activists and 'new media'

Merlyna Lim merlyn at bdg.centrin.net.id
Fri Feb 1 07:04:29 PST 2002

Dear Linda,

I am now doing research on the 'people's internet' in Indonesia that rose
from civil society to counter the
controlled (panopticon) society of Suharto's New Order Government, with case
studies about the use of Internet by activists [both of civil society and
radical fundamentalist group/communes].
I also link this issue to the concept of identity a la Castells.

If you are interested, I could send my draft paper on it.
Let me know.

best,
merlyna lim

[p.s. for the list: sorry I have been lurking for months.... not because I
don't want to contribute, but mainly because I am not a native speaker, so
it is not so easy for me to respond very quickly. And everytime there is
always someone who has the similar opinion/thought like mine. But after all,
I really enjoy being in this list. Thanks]

Quote_of_the_year:
# A friend says: " Mer, i think everyone in the whole world is crazy except
you and me --- and, sometimes, I have my doubts about you!"#